Centre for Indian Studies (CIS) is an affiliation of Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, Vietnam. CIS was established on 15 September 2014. CIS inauguration ceremony had the witness of the two national leaders, H.E. Truong Tan Sang, the President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, and H. E. Pranab Mukherjee, the President of the Republic of India.
CIS is located in Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, 135 Nguyen Phong Sac Street, Hanoi, Vietnam. Office phone: (+84) 02462827521. Website: cis.org.vn.
1. CIS structure and vision
CIS is an organization in the Institute of Science Information, Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics, and is professionally directed by the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics.
CIS states its vision as: Conducting theoretical and empirical studies about India, and the relationship between India and other countries, to serve the cause of education and training for the managers and leaders of the Communist Party of Vietnam, and the academic performance of the Academy; Conducting international communication about the strategies, viewpoints, and policies of the Communist Party of Vietnam and the Government of Vietnam; Promoting and strengthening the cooperation and collaboration in education, training, research and other fields between Vietnam and India.
2. CIS roles and missions
- Conducting studies on the fields of philosophy, culture, education, religion, diplomacy, international relations, etc… of India.
- Conducting studies on the contemporary Indian trends; strategies and policies of the Government of India on the fields of: Politics, socio-economics, culture, education, religion, national security, external relations, particularly the Act East Policy of the Government of India.
- Providing theories and evidence-based policy recommendations for the President of the Academy of designing strategies and policies, and the cooperation plans between the Academy and Indian educational and research institutions to serve the cause of leadership and management, research, education and training of the Academy.
- Leading the cooperation projects with individuals and organizations of Vietnam and India in doing research on the abovementioned fields.
- Leading the cooperation in research and establishment of academic forum, to develop products of science information about India, and to serve the cause of external communication; to serve the cause of leadership and management, research, education and training of the Academy, which are included but not limited to: Information about India, reference materials, translated documents, specialized literature and others.
- Establishing the Indian messenger Book Collection as a reference library for doing research, teaching and policy making.
- Working with Indian partners to organize educational and training activities for capacity building and knowledge updating on the issues of theoretical politics, social sciences and humanities, and international relations.
- Performing other tasks assigned by the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics.
3. CIS Human resources
3.1. Leadership and management: CIS has the Director and the Deputy Director appointed by the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics.
- The CIS Director is the leader of the CIS, reporting to the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics and the legal representative of all activities of the CIS.
- The Deputy Director is the manager of the CIS, reporting to the Director of the CIS and is responsible to report to the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics about the appointed tasks.
- Leadership and management of the CIS:
- Associate Professor, Doctor Le Van Toan: CIS Director from 2015 to 2017.
- Doctor Nguyen Thi Phuong Thao: CIS Director from 2017 to 2019.
- Doctor Nguyen Manh Hai: CIS Director from 2020.
- Master Vu The Cuong: CIS Deputy Director from 2020.
3.2. CIS Staff: CIS has permanent staff and non-resident staff who are recruited by the CIS Director and the employment decision is made by the President of the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics.
4. CIS legal status, stamp and primary account
CIS has full legal status, with its own stamp and bank account as regulated by law. CIS reports its financial status in the framework regulated by the Ho Chi Minh National Academy of Politics.
5. CIS performance regulation
CIS Director decides the CIS regulations in the framework of vision, missions, and organizational structure of the CIS.
Centre for Indian Studies